Friday, January 30, 2009

Getting Better with Age


So I have spent the last week contemplating what's important in my life. My husband, my son, my family. During Everett's naps I take the time to get as many things done in that half hour as I can. I've figured out how to prioritize what absolutely needs to get done and what is not necessarily as important anymore. It's funny that this little exercise makes me re-assess things in life. I see now what I spent many hours worrying about is really not that important in the bigger picture. It still amazes me how much a child can really change your life, and for me it's for the better. Here are some things my mom taught me that I have really understood now:
1. Don't air your dirty laundry.
2. It takes just as much effort to put it away as throwing it on the floor.
3. After the chores are done then you can do fun stuff.
4. Don't tell everyone everything.
5. Take care of your family.
6. Friends come and go-but family is there forever.

Sometimes, I get so wrapped up in the day to day chores that I forget the amazing things I have right in front of me! An amazing husband, who manages to still go above and beyond and blows me away with his amazing, genuine, kindness to everyone around him. I hope to be more like him! My wonderful little sister has grown up so fast this last year--I am so glad she is my best friend and I am excited for what the future hold for her. Last but surely not least is my in-laws--My mom and dad-in-law are the cream of the crop! I am so lucky to have such wonderful parents to look to for guidance and support! My sister-in-law is truly the greatest person to "chill" with. I have learned a lot from her about communicating and learning to take a break! ;P

So...I'm slowly getting better with age, I look forward to meeting the person I will be when my son looks to me for advice--like my mom did for me.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Well said, Theresa. You're a great mom and person. I'm glad we're friends! Love ya, Ang